Thursday, July 4, 2013

Let's talk about oil lamps!

I have already done many things in my life but writing in a blog isn’t one of then. I can still relate myself to the time when we had that big book clubs meetings and certanly the virtual world is not a ride that I manage to take without having some trouble with the engine. But that is a subject for another talk.
So, what do I bring on this first post? Homemade oil lamps.
I build then with cans and bottles. Normally (they are) made of recycled materials, giving use to something that others may just call garbage. Other differential is that my oil lamps tend to look like candles.
I have always liked candles, thought that it was very pretty when my friends used to light their homes with them. But the truth is that candles are expensive, not renewable, and go out really fast, besides the fact they are not safe at all.
Six months ago, I have met someone, that has grown to become a friend off mine, whose hobby was to make oil lamps. Since then, I’ve started to learn how to use tools and handle materials like clues and resins.
Each oil lamps that I make has something of me, of my energy and of the love that I put into the making.
Oil lamps are almost eternal, besides that, the liquid paraffin can be easily replaced – it is also very cheap to do so. And also, as the candles, the oil lamps can make a cosy atmosphere.
I have made many oil lamps just for myself, but sometimes you just know when it is time for you to reveal your work.
Hope that you like it. I will keep posting new photos.






No comments:

Post a Comment